Remember 126

This weekend was really thrilling, and enlightening. Thrilling because we went to Genting, the city of entertainment in Malaysia. And enlightening as we spent a nice and quiet evening with an elderly malay-chinese.

Thrill

The theme park in Genting led me to do some of the things I have always dreamt of. Falling freely and feeling the power of gravity on the space shot, corkscrwed and going through loops of a roller coaster and what not! Some things are best said in pictures. Check my flickr stream for more.



Enlightenment

Sean-Lok was the chinese colleague who drove us to Genting in his car. We met his father, a 40yr veteran of Exxon. The evening spent with them in the "126 restaurant" was great.It was my first real interaction with a chinese family. I had authentic chinese food, not the Indian chinese, but chinese chinese! Rice and prawns with soya sauce and chillies washed down with a cup full of chinese tea.

During the course of our conversation, I realised vegetarianism was an alien concept to Malaysia. Sean's dad was surprised to see "healthy" Indians (my friends) who were veggies. He always believed veggies are lean and skinny and very frail. They were further surprised to realise that my friends family had been veggies from times immemorial. A tradition, a lineage of veggies! That was simply incomprehensible. He felt impressed and inspired by them and decided to learn cooking pure veggie food.

By the way, 126 in chinese means "no less, no more"

Posted bySandeep Sekharamantri at 6:25 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment